You likely know what you are cooking at this point for the holidays, but what to pair? Whether you are throwing a big event for the holidays, or having a special night for two, a great bottle should be on your table. This morning I shared a few special wines on The Broadcast, perfect to pair with your holiday meal, whether you are splurging on that special bottle or entertaining for a crowd.
With fish –
* Affordable – J Hoffsteter Pinot Grigio proves how special Pinot Grigio can be. Juicy without being overly fruit forward, with a good amount of fresh acidity to make it perfect for pairing. We enjoyed it with a traditional soup from Alto Adige (recipe up soon) and converted some strictly Chardonnay drinkers into fans other night. $9 at Wine Therapist right now
* Splurge – Newton Unfiltered Chardonnay is a classic, full bodied wine that displays the true expression of California Chardonnay. Filled with apple, pear and balanced citrus, this special wine will please any white wine lover at your table. $45 at Total Wine and More.
Holiday turkey, Ham or Pork Tenderloin –
* Affordable – Pali Riviera Pinot Noir. The Pali group is elevating both single vineyard Pinot Noir sites, and elegant, regionally distinct Pinot. A great, consistent wine for the price. $20 at Goody Goody
* Splurge – Stoller Nancy’s Pinot Noir from the Dundee Hills of Willamette. Balanced, elegant, approachable and always delicious, Stoller sets a standard for quality production from sustainably grown fruit. $70 via their website
With Rack of Lamb –
* Affordable – Esporao Monte Velho Red Portuguese blend. Made from a blend of grapes that most typically think would be used for Port, instead made into a bold, earthy, rich wine perfect for a hearty meat pairing. – $12 at Pogo’s
* Splurge – Meeker Handprint Merlot decorated with winemaker, and Dallas native, Charlie Meeker’s hands is as pretty to look at as it is tasty to drink. Balanced, with lively layers of plum, cherry, soft herbs and spice. $40 at Goody Goody
With Beef Tenderloin –
* Affordable – Luminary American Blend, Cabernet based blend from Napa, Edna Valley, Willamette and Columbia Valley for a super special wine with a definate personality. – $45 via their website
* Splurge – Vineyard 29 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, some of the finest Cabernet from St. Helena fruit in Napa Valley. This is the wine to share on a special holiday night with the one you love. $200 at Pogo’s
With Venison or grilled steaks –
* Affordable – Felino Malbec from Paul Hobbs, one of the premier winemakers in the world who really transformed how Malbec was made in Argentina. $18 at Goody Goody
* Splurge – Cheval des Andes Malbec from the partnership of Terrazas in Argentina and Cheval Blanc, from Bordeaux, partnering for a super premium wine in Mendoza. Elegant, robust and always delicious. $75 at Total Wine
Last minute gifts –
* Affordable – Robert Mondavi Private Selections Red Blend – $12 with the adorable wine dyed handkerchief, $10.
* Splurge – Robert Mondavi Private Selections their super soft, cozy and comfortable wine dyed denim shirt from Crawford Denim shirt. $135 available via their website here.
Every Glass Is An Adventure
Sommelier, Personal Chef & Concierge Creating Elegant Dinner Parties and Unique Wine Tasting Events to the Big Island of Hawaii
Cogill WIne & Film and Cogill Consulting brings together the talents of Producer Gary Cogill and his wife, Sommelier Hayley Hamilton Cogill, working together, yet thriving individually, for a perfect pairing of wine and film.