Welcome to a new take on the “normal” work week. We will either come out of this pandemic as master chefs, in-home jazzercise experts, or Sommeliers, instead of obese, flabby, stressed, alcoholics that social media is indicating. As we try to navigate how to social distance, stay home, and not go completely stir crazy, many wineries throughout the country are stepping up to help you manage (not over-indulge) through this crisis by offering discounts and unbelievable shipping deals. For those of us who live in Hawaii…this is big! As always, drink (and eat) responsibly. But, here are some of the opportunities you can take advantage of right now.
And, I will add my own bonus, as eventually, we will all get back to normal. I will extend a “friends and family” discount on any wine country concierge planning service of three days or more. Email me in the next 30 days to take advantage, and I will plan your trip for 2-6 guests to Napa, Sonoma, or Willamette Valley, including where to taste, dine, stay, and play, for half my normal rate for travel anytime through the end of 2020.
Napa’s Trefethen Family Vineyards is offering $1 shipping on any size order now, making it the ideal time to stock up on their consistent favorite Napa Valley Chardonnay.
One of our favorite spots to taste and relax is Ram’s Gate at the entrance to Carneros in Sonoma, specializing in premium Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from throughout the region. They are offering a double bonus to help us get through this crisis, 15% off and free shipping on all orders with the code “RAMSGATE.” This is one to take advantage of, especially their Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay!
Cambria Wines in Santa Barbara County was already offering free shipping on their wines with the promo code “CheersToHer” in celebration of International Women’s Day for the month of March. The winery, run by a dynamic group of women, including the daughters of Jackson Family Wine’s Barbara Banke, and Winemaker Jill Russell, crafts cool-climate Chardonnay and Pinot Noir with character and style, including their fruit-driven, floral and fresh Katherine’s Vineyard Chardonnay ($22).
Sister winery, Kendall-Jackson, is also offering free shipping and a 20% discount on orders over $75 with the promo code “KJSPRING.” Winemaker Randy Ullom has also started a series of virtual wine tastings on the winery’s Facebook and Instagram pages so consumers can taste along with the winemaker in the comfort of their own homes. With tasting rooms shut down, the winery is bringing the tasting room experience to your home. Follow this link to their website to order, and link to their Facebook page here.
Sonoma’s La Crema Winery is offering 15% off and free ground shipping on all orders as well.
Include the shipping code “LCNOW” at check out.
Always a favorite, 100% organically-farmed Rutherford AVA vineyards are the heart of Inglenook’s spectacular Cabernet Sauvignon and one of my ah-ha wines, Rubicon. On website orders of six bottles or more, they are offering $5 shipping.
Critically celebrated wines from Lail Vineyards like J. Daniel Cuvée Cabernet Sauvignon and Georgia Sauvignon Blanc are usually only available during allocation periods, but the winery is now making them available online, along with their Blueprint wines. Bonus, Lail Vineyards is including shipping on all orders of any size. Visit their website here to purchase.
Napa Valley’s Pine Ridge Vineyards, celebrating 40 years of producing Cabernet Sauvignon in the Stags Leap District AVA is holding a sale right now of 20% off any wine, 30% if you are a club member, with free ground shipping on case purchases.
Terroir driven, robust, dense, and rustic, celebrating sunshine loving Rhone varieties, Epoch Wines in Paso Robles is offering free shipping on orders of any size. As spring is here, now is the ideal time to grab one of the best Rose ($30) wines produced in California, with delicate floral, herbs de Provence, apple, and ripe berry notes, the wine exudes a lovely elegance.
Benovia Winery in Sonoma County’s Russian River Valley is known for producing coveted, sustainably-farmed Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Shipping is included when you stock up on three bottles or more. Longtime fans of Benovia favor the winery’s critically-acclaimed single vineyard Pinot Noir and balanced Chardonnay. Benovia’s limited production wines can be purchased by visiting www.benoviawinery.com and photos can be found here.
Boisset Family Collections is including free ground shipping on 6 btls or more for any of their wines from their expansive portfolio of wines, including the wines of Raymond, Buena Vista, JCB, and the stellar wines produced in collaboration with John Legend. The collection also has a handful of wines from the portfolio on sale up to 40% off. Just enter “SPRINGCLEAN” as the promo code.
Chateau Montelena has a gift package that is right up our alley. The Napa Valley favorite just released their “Wine Shelter” gift package including:
- 1 copy of “Bottle Shock,” the feel-good film based on Chateau Montelena’s win at the 1976 Judgment of Paris starring the late Alan Rickman and Chris Pine
- A mix-and-match half or full case (6 or 12 bottles) of Montelena’s current releases ($1 shipping is included on case purchases)
- A complimentary wine tasting once tasting rooms reopen (redeemable at either their San Francisco or Calistoga tasting rooms)
Willamette Valley is just cool. They openly welcome everyone, with a rustic, refined nature, while always taking care of their own. The Willamette Valley Vintners Association has created an incredible page via their website to share the news of what the wineries in the AVA are doing during this crisis, including who had shipping deals and discounts, special wines that have been brought out of the vault for limited-time releases, and will soon have a quarantine playlist, list of recipes, and other ideas to help you pass the time as work from home becomes the requirement and not the privilege. The growing website page can be linked here.
Here are some of the offers noted today:
- Adelsheim is offering free shipping with the code “WITHLOVE”
- Cristom Vineyards is offering a 10% discount on case purchases with free shipping to the mainland on 4 btls or more; 1/2 off shipping to Hawaii and Alaska.
- Durant Vineyards at Red Ridge Farm is offering 25% off everything on their website, including their stellar, pressed on site, Oregon oilve oils, with the code “SPRINGSALE.” I highly recommend the rosemary infused olive oil!
- Nicolas-Jay is including free shipping on everything through their website, including their limited release Pink Vinyl Rose.
- Gran Moraine Winery has free shipping on any size order with the promotional code “COMPSHIP.”
- Ponzi Vineyards has a 20% off everything, except their single vineyard and library wines, and a $10 flat rate shipping on any order, via their website with the code “PONZIATHOME”
- Through April 30, Tony Rynders stellar Tendril Wines is offering a 30% (30%!!!) discount on his incredible current release wines. I wouldn’t think twice about stocking up on the Tendril Tightrope ($70) or Extrovert ($52) Pinot Noir as these are wines that are big and bold now, but will age beautifully over the new several years.
- And, perhaps the best option to help you get through this challenging time. Winderlea Vineyard and Winery, in the volcanic hills of Dundee Hills AVA has a “Winderlea At Your Door” special of 6 bottles of hand-selected, everyday Pinot Noir wines, with shipping or local delivery in the Portland/Willamette Area, for $169! These are earthy, rich, luxurious wines from one of Willamette Valley’s premier establishments, now available with a very generous discount. Thanks Bill & Donna!